Monday 17 September 2012

Music Choice


Pink released her first song 'There You Go' in 2000 and is planning to produce her sixth album this year. Pink's career accomplishments so far include three Grammy Awards, five MTV Video Music Awards and two Brit Awards. The musical category most critics agree Pink is a part of would be 'pop-rock' as many of her songs are seen as edgy and truthful. Her appearance is continuously evolving although mostly always containing a short boyish hair style, either being white, pale pink or black.









By choosing a song by 'Pink' has allowed me and my group to present a video with a lot of emotion and meaning to it, much like the lyrics in the majority of this artists songs. Many of her songs are about anger, depression, addiction and hatred. We felt that portraying a video with these emotions would be easier than portraying a video of the opposite of this, as it may look like a forced emotion, whereas a blank expression is easy for any person, and so choosing a main character would be much easier with this theme.

These are the lyrics to the song we have chosen, 'F*ckin' Perfect':

 Made a wrong turn, once or twice 
Dug my way out, blood and fire 
Bad decisions, that's alright 
Welcome to my silly life
 Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood 
Miss, no way it's all good, it didn't slow me down 
Mistaken, always second guessing 
Underestimated, look, I'm still around 

 Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
 Like you're less than, less than perfect 
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel 
Like you're nothing you are perfect to me 

You're so mean when you talk 
About yourself, you are wrong 
Change the voices in your head 
Make them like you instead 
 So complicated, look how big you'll make it 
Filled with so much hatred, such a tired game
 It's enough, I've done all I can think of
 Chased down all my demons, see you do the same 

 Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel 
Like you're less than, less than perfect 
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel 
Like you're nothing, you are perfect to me 

The whole world stares while I swallow the fear
The only thing I should be drinking is an ice cold beer 
So cool in lying and we tried, tried, tried 
But we try too hard, it's a waste of my time 
 Done looking for the critics 'cause they're everywhere 
They don't like my genes, they don't get my hair 
Strange ourselves and we do it all the time 
Why do we do that? Why do I do that? 
Why do I do that? 

Ooh, pretty, pretty, pretty Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than, less than perfect 
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel 
Like you're nothing, you are perfect to me 
You are perfect to me You're perfect, you're perfect to me 
Pretty, pretty please if you ever, ever feel Like you're less than, less than perfect 
Pretty, pretty please if you ever, ever feel 
Like you're nothing, you are perfect to me




This song is ultimatley about exceptance of yourself and that other peoples
opinions and feelings shouldn't be taken so seriously. P!nk was said to have written this song as she was inspired by her husband. She wanted to highlight the effect of self-mutilation, depression and suicide to her audience in order to convey their seriousness. The original video contains graphic images of self harming the word 'perfect' on to the main characters arm with a razor, which is disturbing for many viewers. It portrays the life of the main character from a child to teenager to adult throughout the whole video, conveying the struggles she has been through in order to reach her current position in life.

P!nk uses a time ellipses in her video which we would also like to recreate in ours. The translation of time happens in a way which shows the end of the story at the beginning of the video, which is something we would like to incorporate into our own video. It then depicts the story behind the main character and how they arrived at that current place, ending with the same start and ending scene. We feel this would be worthwhile to our work as we could closely compare it to the original video, yet make it our own by changing elements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment