Monday 26 November 2012

Research for Ancillary Task: CD Cover

Whilst producing a Music Magazine, me and my group also need to create two separate products. We need to make a CD Album cover and an advert for our music video in the style of a magazine advert. My group and I have discussed this and we are all going to make separate ancillary tasks and then compare them together in order to either choose our favourite one or create one together using aspects of the singular ones we have made.
I will firstly begin to research CD Album covers and decide which are the ones I feel will fit our music genre the best. The genre we are focussing our music tasks around is Indie Pop, I will research some Indie Pop artists and their CD covers in order to point me in the right direction when creating my own products.
I began to research general Indie Pop CD album covers and found these were the ones I liked the most:












I focussed mainly on the simple covers, with just the image and artists name as I thought it was most effective and allowed the viewer (me) to focus mainly on the photograph and the album title which is the main aspect of having an album cover. I like the way that bright colour is used against the stark black and white in these images, as it brings the veiwers attention to certain aspects of the photograph. I will hopefully acheieve this in my own work.
I then began to look at the artist that we have chosen, Pink, and to research her album covers. As we are using her song 'Less Than Perfect' I thought it was appropriate to have a look at her covers and how she interpreted her lyrics to arrange an album cover.

This is the single cover that Pink produced for the song that we have chosen. I really dislike this cover, I think it looks quite bland and tacky. Although it has used the aspect of colours along with black and white, however the colour scheme used and the photograph chosen, in my opinion, do not work well together. 


This is the back case of Pink's album cover. I think that the colours used are simple and work well however I think that the font is too close together and not very easy to read. However, I think the idea of using a different yet similar font for each individual song title is a good idea as it conveys the different meaning of each song.


 This is another single cover produced by Pink. I like the idea of using a pattern on the cover, however the photograph is unappealing to myself and I also dislike her outfit. Her pose is quite provocative and considering that our model is Alice, being younger than Pink, I doubt that we will have her positioned like this.


Pink is in the same position in this cover aswell, however he outfit is more revealing and she is facing the camera. I like this cover more, due to the colours used the layout of text and image together however I am still unsure of her pose and the composition of how she is presented as a whole.

After briefly researching into album covers, I will now go on to looking more closely at the way artists are presented in photographs on cd covers and how we are going to present Alice too. We will be having a photoshoot in the near future to allow us to experiment with different shots whilst decided which we think will work well.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good start to the research. I am looking for you to focus down on the specific next. For instance, you show people crouching in one set of images and a close up of a face in others. I need some sense of reconciliation and movement forward from that rather general start.

    ReplyDelete