Wednesday 20 March 2013

Research into back of album covers

In order to create our ancillary task we need to research each part of the album cover. I have already researched the front of the album cover however now we need to research how the back of album covers are presented in the music industry and try to compare this to our own work. As we have been basing our album cover on the work of Adele and Rihanna I will look at how these artists represent their work on the back of their albums.

This cover from Adele is very dark as it represents her meaningful music and lyrics. Our chosen song and artist also have the same feel as this however I am unsure whether to use a black background. This cover works well as the back picture of Adele is contrasting to the front image of her looking at the camera with a cigarette. The songs are listed together and labelled clearly.


The same background is used on Rihanna's album, it does however contain more information about the writers and producers of each song and the image of Rihanna is in colour compared to Adele's album cover. The image is a whole body shot and conveys her as aggressive. The barcodes on both albums are necessary due as they need to be sold to the audience. I prefer the album cover from Adele for its simplicity although I do like the element of colour in Rihanna's cover.

Spine of Cover:


I have been researching each part of a CD digipack in order to make our group album cover the best it could be with our resources  I have been influenced by the covers of Adele and Rihanna so far and have recently been looking at the spines of the covers to ensure that I keep a steady continuity I will continue to look at these types of artists. I own Rihanna's album cover and so I am able to look closely at a hard copy and make decisions as to what I like and dislike about the cover.


I have highlighted the areas on my own album cover which we would have to recreate. The first image on the left hand side is of the spine of the cover which reads the artists name and album name. The other four things highlighted are from the back of the album and are things such as barcodes, album producers and ownership rights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment